We are very excited to be one of exhibitors at the ASHA Schools Conference, July 12-14, in Long Beach, California. This annual event brings together school-based speech-language pathologists, administrators and heads of university-based programs, to learn and connect. We are looking forward to meeting everyone!
If you are attending the conference, please stop by our booth (#310) to learn more about our speech therapy apps. We will be demonstrating our apps, Speak Colors and Speech Cards. We will also be giving a sneak peak of our latest app Speak Colors Español.
We hope to see you there!
A new Speech Cards deck is now available for learning the pronoun “I”. “I Like …” contains 10 cards of various summer themed foods and activities. It is free to download. Please check it out on the Downloads page.
Helen (SpeechBlogUK) writes:
“It is a beautifully easy app to use to create pretty much any set of flashcards you might want.”
Click here to read the full review.
Thank you Helen for the review!
Speech Cards version 1.1.2 is now available for download! This version includes new features to help school-based Speech-Language Pathologists. Read all about the new features by following this link:
Speech Cards is compatible with the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch and requires iOS 5.1 or above. Download Speech Cards Professional and Speech Cards Lite on the Apple App Store. App Store Reviews greatly appreciated. Thank you.
School may be out for the summer, but we have been working on some exciting new features to help school-based Speech-Language Pathologists. A survey by ASHA found that the median caseload of a school-based SLP (in the USA) was 47 students. Without adequate support, managing such a large number of students in an app can be difficult. Speech Cards is a very versatile iOS app as it can be customized to suit the goals of a wide range of students. We are very excited to share with you, the new features of Speech Cards version 1.1.2, designed to help school-based SLPs.
Speech Cards now supports an unlimited number of students. This will enable you to keep the scores and recordings for all your students in the app, without having to delete. Store reports for your all your past, current and future students.
Save time looking for students with the new Search feature. Simply tap in the search box and start typing the name of a student. Results appear instantly. Tap on a search result to select the student. Less waiting and start sessions sooner with Search.
Organized Student List
Find the student you are looking for with the help of the organized Student List. The names of students are organized into alphabetical sections. Last Names are displayed in bold font to help you visually process the list.
Use the new alphabetical index to quickly navigate from one section to another. For example, if you are currently looking at the students in section “A”, tap on the “Y” index to quickly jump down to section “Y”.
Speech Cards has had support for group sessions since the first version. We’ve made group sessions better by removing the limits on how many students can be added to a group session. Speech Cards now supports any size of group you may have.
Pricing and Availability
Speech Cards 1.1.2 will be available for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, exclusively through the Apple App Store. The planned release date for version 1.1.2 is the week of July 1, 2013. The price for the Professional version is $9.99 USD (or equivalent in other currencies). We are proud to be participating in the Apple Volume Purchase Program, which enables educational institutions to purchase our apps at a discount. We also offer a Lite version, so you may try Speech Cards for free.
For version 1.1.2, we focused on the details of the Student Lists. Here are four more great reasons to love Speech Cards:
- Support for Unlimited Number of Students
- Save time with Student Search
- Organized Student Lists with Bold Last Names, Alphabetical Sections and Alphabetical Section Index
- Support for any size of Group
Thank you for reading! If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please contact us; we would love to hear from you. Have a great summer everyone! We hope to see you at the ASHA Schools Convention in Long Beach, California, July 12-14.
Elizabeth (SpeechBlogUK) writes:
“This app is designed for increasing vocabulary skills, phrase length and receptive and expressive language. I have found it useful for all these things and more! It is a very versatile app and is very easy to customise and use.”
Click here to read the full review and learn some practical uses for SpeakColorsHD in speech therapy.
Thank you Elizabeth for the review!
In this tip, you will learn how to transfer flashcards created in Speech Cards, from one iPad to another. Use the steps described in this article to share flashcards with your friends and colleagues. There are two parts to this article:
- How to E-mail a Flashcard Deck from iPad #1
- How to Import a Flashcard Deck on iPad #2
The screenshots are from the iPad version, but the steps for the iPhone version are very similar. Click on the screenshots to see a larger, clearer image.
How to E-mail a Flashcard Deck from iPad #1
1. Go to the Customize screen and select a deck from the list on the left.
2. Press the email button in the upper-right corner.
3. Select E-mail Data.
4. The Mail app will pop up so you can email the flashcard deck.
How to Import a Flashcard Deck on iPad #2
1. Open the email sent from iPad #1.
2. Press on the cards.scd attachment and select Open in “Speech Cards”.
3. The Speech Cards app will pop up, allowing you to import. Choose one of the options to import the deck. Depending on which option you choose, you will have to select an existing deck, type a new deck name or it will just import.
4. When the import is complete, the home screen is displayed. If you have many flashcard decks, you may need to swipe left or right to see the imported deck.
This tip demonstrates how to take notes about a speech therapy session in Speech Cards. The screenshots are from the iPad version, but the steps for the iPhone version are very similar. Click on the screenshots to see a larger, clearer image.
1. Go to the Reports screen. Tap on a record in the Session Summary to show the Detail Session Report screen.
2. The Notes area is in the upper-right corner of the Detailed Session Report screen.
3. Tap in the Notes area to pop up a keyboard. Type your notes. When finished, tap somewhere outside the keyboard to dismiss the keyboard.
4. Notes are automatically saved to the report and can be edited any time by tapping in the Notes area.
5. A PDF of the Detailed Session Reports, including the notes, can be sent in an e-mail. Press the e-mail button to pop up the Mail app and send the report.
May 14 is Apraxia Awareness Day! Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS) is a motor speech disorder. Children with CAS have difficulty saying sounds, syllables and words because their brain cannot coordinate the necessary muscle movements. Through speech therapy, children with apraxia can improve their speech and become more intelligible.
Speech therapy sessions for children with CAS tend to be frequent, intensive, and progress can be slow (but there is progress). RWH Technology offers two apps that are suitable for helping children with apraxia. Speak Colors and Speech Cards provide dynamic learning experiences. Both apps include photographs of real objects, voice recordings, and a microphone for the child to record/listen to their own voice. Speak Colors focuses on receptive & expressive language, phrase length and articulation. Speech Cards is a very customizable flashcards app that can be used for vocabulary, articulation and much more.