SpeakColorsHD is now available for purchase on the App Store!
We plan to release SpeakColorsHD, the premium version of SpeakColors, within the next two weeks. It will be available for the iPad at an introductory price of $1.99. When it’s released, we will make the announcement on our Facebook page and will be giving away some promo codes. Please Like our Facebook page if you are interested.
What’s new in SpeakColorsHD?
– 200 photos
– Improved (simplified) interface for re-recording audio
– Practice mode
– Simple sentences using “the” and “is”
– Re-designed buttons
Announcing SpeakColorsHD, the premium version of SpeakColors. As with SpeakColors, SpeakColorsHD is a speech therapy app designed to help children learn how to express colors and two word phrases. SpeakColorsHD adds sentences using “the” and “is”. SpeakColorsHD will be available for the iPad later this month.
As follows is a summary of the features in SpeakColorsHD:
- 7 colors
- 200 photos
- Improved (simplified) interface for re-recording audio
- Practice mode
- Two word phrases
- Simple sentences using “the” and “is”
The original SpeakColors will also be getting an update. The update will include a simplified interface for re-recording audio and some new photos. The update is planned to be released in January 2012.
Apps for Austim was featured tonight on the CBS show 60 Minutes.
The following is an excerpt from the episode:
“Autistic people whose condition prevents them from speaking are making breakthroughs with the help of tablet computers and special applications that allow them to communicate, some for the first time. Lesley Stahl reports.”
The episode can be viewed on YouTube here.
Yesterday Apple released iOS 5, the latest version of the operating system that runs on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. There are many new features in iOS 5. Below are some of the new features:
– Notifications for new mail messages, tweets, etc can appear on the “lock” screen.
– The data (music, video, photos, apps) can be synchronized across all your devices using iCloud or Wifi.
– For example, you can download an app on your iPad and it will automatically be downloaded to your iPhone.
– A benefit of iCloud is that future iOS upgrades shouldn’t be as painful because you will not need to connect the device to a PC or Mac.
– I will be writing an article about iCloud and how to enable it later.
– Send messages to other iOS 5 users.
– Similar to SMS text messaging, but uses Apple’s network instead of your phone carrier’s network.
– Twitter is now included with iOS 5.
– May be beneficial if you use Twitter a lot.
– The camera is now accessible from the “lock” screen. You no longer need to “unlock” and then press “camera”. May be useful if you need to quickly take a photo.
– The volume button can be used to take a photo.
Safari Web Browser
– The tabs look the same as the tabs in Safari on the Mac.
– Based on your location, it can pop-up a reminder of what you need to do. For example, if you leave school, it can remind you to buy milk.
– This could be a really cool feature on the iPhone 4S with the Siri speech technology.
– Security Certificates from the hacked certificate authority DigiNotar, have been removed.
I recommend upgrading to iOS 5. There are a number of changes that should make using the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad a more enjoyable experience.
I have posted some instructions on how to upgrade to iOS 5 here.
Yesterday, Apple released iOS 5, the latest version of the operating system on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. SpeakColors, a speech therapy app for the iPad, is compatible with iOS 5.
Today, Apple announced the iPhone 4S. Siri, a speech recognition technology, will be integrated into the iPhone. In one of the examples, the presenter said, “Do I have any meetings Friday at Noon”. Siri responded with, “You don’t have anything on your calendar this Friday”. Sounds like exciting stuff! Can Siri be integrated into a speech therapy app?
SpeakColors was recently reviewed on Technology in (SPL) Education.
SpeakColors 1.1 is now available for download in the App Store! This version fixes an issue that would cause the app to crash when re-recording audio.
SpeakColors 1.0 is now available for the iPad on the Apple App Store. SpeakColors is an app for learning how to express colors. It is geared toward toddlers with language delay.