Since the first release of Speech Cards last fall, we have had many requests to add the ability to import photos from Google Images or Bing Images. We are very happy to announce that the next update (version 1.1.1) will include Bing Image Search. Access to millions of images will give you the ability to create any card you can imagine! We plan to release the update next week, pending approval by Apple.
Why Bing? Both Bing and Google provide APIs that give excellent search results. Google allows 100 free searches per day, while Bing allows 5000 free searches per month. After the free search allotment is used up, access to the search results are either cut off or a fee must be paid. Based on our user count, we determined that Bing had the best rate for us.
Other changes/fixes are included in this update.
While at CSHA 2013, we noticed many people would press the previous or next buttons many times once the first or last card had been reached. Once you are at the beginning or end of the card list, it is no longer necessary to press the previous or next buttons. To provide a visual cue that you have reached the beginning or end of the card list, the PREVIOUS/NEXT buttons are hidden.
Since version 1.1.0, Speech Cards has been compatible with the iPhone. Through more rigorous testing, we found some issues on iPhones with iOS 5. Version 1.1.1 also includes:
- Fixed issues in the Reports and Customize screens that could cause the app to crash on iPhones with iOS 5.
- Fixed screen rotation issues on the “Card List”, “Students In Session”, and “Store” screens on iPhones with iOS 5.
We would like to thank all our customers for purchasing Speech Cards. Thank you for suggesting Bing Image Search. We hope this new feature helps you to create new and exciting cards! We highly value suggestions and comments from our customers because we want to make our apps help people improve their speech and language skills as much as possible. Do you have a suggestion for Speech Cards? If so, please leave a comment or send us an email.
We are happy to announce that Speech Cards version 1.1.0 has been released. With this update, Speech Cards is now available for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch! Speech Cards helps children with special needs, such as autism, improve their vocabulary, articulation and other communication skills. The app can be tailored to the needs of individual students with customizable text, pictures and audio. Click here to learn more.
The RWH Technology team is back from vacation and is very excited about the year ahead. A few things we have planned for 2013 include an iPhone version of Speech Cards, an update to Speak Colors to make it more customizable, and a booth at the California Speech & Hearing Association convention in Long Beach. Happy New Year and best wishes to everyone!
A study by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) found that most mobile apps for children are collecting and transmitting personally identifiable information (device IDs, phone numbers, locations and other private data) without the knowledge or consent of the parents.
The FTC reviewed 235 apps from the Google Play and Apple App stores and found some surprising statistics. Nearly 60% of the apps reviewed transmitted the device ID and many shared that ID with a third party, such as an advertising network. 14 apps also transmitted the location and phone number. By collecting personally identifiable information, third parties can create detailed profiles of children and place them at risk. Additionally, over 50% of the apps reviewed included In-App-Purchase or advertising. Only 20% of the apps reviewed included information about their privacy policies.
- Do not collect/share any user’s personally identifiable information.
- Do not contain Social Network Integration or Links to Social Media.
- Do not contain ads.
- Do not contain push notifications.
- May include In-App-Purchases. In such cases, we disclose the In-App-Purchase in the app’s description. The In-App-Purchases are contained on an separate, adult targeted screen.
- May include Links to other RWH Technology apps. In such cases we disclose the Links in the app’s description. The Links to other RWH Technology apps are contained on a separate, adult targeted screen.
Speech Cards version 1.0.3 is now available for download on the App Store. This update is for both the Professional and Lite versions of Speech Cards. The update includes the following:
- Crop photos.
- Take photos using the built-in camera.
- Increased maximum number of decks from 24 to 32 (in Professional version and Lite version with Professional Upgrade).
- Increased maximum number of students from 12 to 30 (in Professional version and Lite version with Professional Upgrade).
- Students are listed in alphabetical order in the Reports screen.
- Improved app stability while in the Reports screen.
Today is Cyber Monday and Speech Cards Professional is on sale for only $1.99 USD.